Friday, January 23, 2009

It's a journey, not a destination!

Welcome to The Diabetic Road Warrior!

I went to the doctor the other day because I was "not feeling quite right". I needed to renew perscriptions, needed an inspection, and it was "just time". In the course of the appointment with the doctor, she reminded me once again that my blood sugar had been a little high and why hadn't I gone for the wonderful glucose intolerance test that she had previously asked me to get....6 months earlier. She decided to give me a quick and painless prick on the finger to find out that my blood sugar at that time was 272. The appointment just got longer. I now have my very own dipstick to check my glucose levels and I have been on a mission ever since to figure out how to make this work with my tumbleweed life style.

***about me......I inspect aviation fuel systems at FBO's in the Northwest (FBO=fixed base operations....or plane gas stations) I insure that the fuel is the same quality from the refinery to the wingtip, next time you fly with your buddy, if you were at one of my accounts, I can assure you that you won't go down due to fuel quality! I love my job and it takes me to the greatest places that you just wouldn't go to on vacation but I have to say, I am the luckiest girl in the world to get paid to do this job and hang out at airports like Wenatchee Washington. What a stunning place in the spring and fall with all the orchards. Well worth the trip and the flight if you are inclined to fly.***

So what's a girl to eat on the road? Airports are just not set up for decent food let alone a diet that is not going to send my blood sugar to the heights of Mt. Everest.

After speaking with my friend, and fellow flyer, Margaret, who is a dietitian and hopefully a co author on this blog, we came up with some ideas that will help me to get started in the mornings. I have never been one for breakfast but now I must. I have decided to call my personal diet "The Cave Woman Diet". That means, if a cave woman didn't eat it, I should find a better choice. Pretty simple diet really, if it comes in cellophane, it's probably going to not be such a good choice. For example, Twinkies....not that I was ever big on the treats but it's an example of what the average cave woman didn't have available. It's my habit to hit a grocery store as soon as I get my rental car to get bottled water, veggie snacks (OK, those come in cellophane but they were available to the Cave Woman), a bag of almonds and I hit the road. In the following entries to this blog, the journey and the fun begins. Yes, I have had fun with this new forced change in eating lifestyle.

It will be a couple of weeks before I hit the road again. Most of my territory is frozen right now and you just can't check for water in a fuel system when it's frozen, so in the meantime, I will be experimenting with how to cook oatmeal without a stove or microwave. What is a good fast food choice that won't send my numbers soaring, and learning more about The Cave Woman within me.

Here we go..........................! And as my mother would say....."did you remember to go to the bathroom before we left?"